Dandruff is a scalp condition characterized by the shedding of dead cells of the scalp and common in both men and women. Every person has suffered from this problem at some point in our life. It is a scalp condition. In its mild form, one may notice loose white or yellowish flakes that shed off and may be seen on the shoulders, back or scalp. Mild dandruff may cause a itchy scalp. It is a condition which is uncomfortable, irritating, and embarrassing. Dandruff isn’t a contagious condition and control and treatment is rather easy.
There are two forms of dandruff – Oily and Dry. Dry dandruff is noticed as loose white flakes and may cause a lot of itching. The oily dandruff is sticky and yellow in color and has a smell to it and is found mostly in adolescents and adults.
Some Causes of Dandruff
- poor diet
- sluggish metabolism
- a hormonal imbalance
Home Remedies for Dandruff
• Mix six spoonfuls water with two spoonfuls pure vinegar and apply using with cotton wool prior to going to bed. To protect the pillow, tie a towel around your head. The next morning, wash your hair with shampoo and rinse again with vinegar water. Continue doing this once a week for at least three months.
• Add a spoonful of lemon juice to two spoonfuls of vinegar. Gently massage the scalp with it. After this, wash your hair with an egg shampoo.
• Soak fenugreek (methi) seeds in yogurt overnight. Apply the yogurt to your scalp for 30 minutes before washing.
• Hair washed with methi seed paste prevents falling hair, dandruff, baldness and acne, keeping the hair healthy long, and black. Soak fenugreek(methi) seeds in water overnight so that the seeds become soft. In the morning, grind the fenugreek seeds to make paste. Apply this paste to the scalp and hair and leave it on for 30 minutes and wash off with shampoo.
• Beat two eggs and add two tablespoons of water to it. Apply the egg mixture to wet hair. Now massage your scalp with the mixture and leave it on for 10 to 15 mintues. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Diet for Dandruff
It has been proved that a faulty diet can start dandruff or even cause it to flare up. Follow the suggestions given below:
• Make sure you eat at least one fruit and raw salad everyday (cabbage, cuccumber, tomato, radish, etc.).
• Eat one leafy green vegetable everyday which contains a lot of vitamins and minerals especially vitamin A which is excellent for the scalp.
• Yogurt is a great food for your hair.
• Include whole grain cereals like wheat flour, millets and legumes like kidney beans, etc. in the diet as these are high in micro nutrients and proteins.